Hydrophobic interaction chromatography problem

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Fri Jan 21 20:31:38 EST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:09:29, "Lars Komorowski"
<larskomo at biochem.mu-luebeck.de> wrote:

ð I want to use a propyl residue as the active group. My problem is that only
ð Sigma seems to vend some old stuff based on agarose as  matrix. I want to
ð know if there are some other possibilities.
ð Another solution is to manufacture the material by myself. Has someone got a
ð recipe for doing it (needed reagents, activated groups on the matrix etc.) ð

If you don't mind making a linkage which isn't permanent (i.e. will slowly
leach over many months), you can join n-proplamine to CNBr-activated agarose.
The activation step is unpleasant (dioxane & CNBr being toxic), but you can
buy pre-activated agarose. The coupling is straight-forward. There should be
many published protocols for this; I can look up an old one if you need.

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at UKans.nospam.edu              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |   http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |