PEG removal

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at
Mon Jan 24 12:05:57 EST 2000

In article <388C74AA.8C6CE1F7 at>, Christian Lowe
<c.lowe at> writes
>Peter Kulcsar wrote:
>> Dear Fellow Scientists,
>> I urgently need a method to remove PEG traces from proteins precipitated
>> from human sera. I have already tried dialysis, however it is pretty
>> much time consuming. If anyone has an idea I would appreciate...
>> Thanks
>> Peter
>An alternative would be to use an AMICON I imagine It will be faster than
>conventional osmotic dialisis

I doubt dialysis will work :(

Why? We use PEG to concentrate proteins by placing solid PEG 8000 on the
outside of the dialysis tubing containing the protein we want to
concentrate. In fifteen years plus of doing this for umpteen enzymes I
have never found PEG crossing the membrane.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.
Tel: +44(0)1252376288