thermostable proteases

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at
Fri Jan 28 20:33:50 EST 2000

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:32:02, Kresten <kresten at> wrote:

ð I am looking for a thermostable protease preferably working around pH 5.
ð Does anybody know any proteases fulfilling these requirements? I do not
ð need specificity, actually the less specific the better.
ð With regards to the temperature range, the bigger the better is my
ð answer at the moment although I might be satisfied by a protease working
ð around 70 degreesC. Also it would be nice if the protease was
ð commercially available.

You're in luck! Proteinase K, available from many sources, performs optimally
at 65 deg. C. A typical protocol for *complete* proteolysis would be 0.1 mg
proteinase/mL, 0.1-1.0% SDS. (The enzyme also tolerates urea up to 3-4 M, and
EDTA to 0.1 M or more.) There isn't much self-digestion at room temperature,
but you should keep the enzyme frozen when not in use. It's a serine esterase

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |