thermostable proteases

Kresten kresten at
Sat Jan 29 07:16:19 EST 2000

In article <7opiGDf98QgB-pn2-l4vlFuz544H7 at>,
  PGegen at wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:32:02, Kresten <kresten at> wrote:

Actually we have quite a lot of PrK lying around since we use it for
other purposes. The only thing I didn't realize was that it kept
activity as such low values of pH. Being a serine protease I thought
that PrK would only be active under alkaline conditions but as far as I
can see from the web-literature PrK is active from pH 4.3 to 12.0
having max activity around pH 8. I'll have to check the literature to
see how much activity is left at eg. 60 degrees and pH 5.

> You're in luck! Proteinase K, available from many sources, performs
> optimally
> at 65 deg. C. A typical protocol for *complete* proteolysis would be
> 0.1 mg
> proteinase/mL, 0.1-1.0% SDS. (The enzyme also tolerates urea up to 3-4
> M, and
> EDTA to 0.1 M or more.) There isn't much self-digestion at room
> temperature,
> but you should keep the enzyme frozen when not in use. It's a serine
> esterase
> | Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321
> | Department of               |   PGegen at
> |   Molecular Biosciences     |
> | University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible,
> | 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable,
> | Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes

The address kresten at is for
spambots only. Please mail me at LysLeuLeu at
transforming the pre at -part into my initials.
Kresten Lindorff Larsen, Dept. Yeast Genetics

Sent via
Before you buy.