blue native gel electrophoresis

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at
Wed Jun 7 07:58:32 EST 2000

Pathos wrote:
> In article <1ebacnp.chbu6v14rfow0N at>,
> jacqg at (jw) wrote:
> > look for papers by schagger (umlaut on the a)
> When writting umlauts in german without the umlauts, simple put an "e"
> after the vowel that needs an umlaut.  So it would be written von
> Schaegger.
> I see that your address is from the .nl region of the world so I suspect
> you already knew that.
> regards,
> Peter Pediaditakis

Well, yes Peter, you are right. That is exactly the way we germans write
it when there are no umlaut characters available (the german alphabet
has three umlauts, the vowels a,o, and u with two dots on top; they are
pronounced very differently from the vowels without dots; e.g. "a
umlaut" is pronounced quite like "ai" in "pair", whereas the plain "a"
is like "a" in "father").
The problem is that Medline is an all-american thing that does not care
about umlauts in names. Thus, any "a umlaut" (ä) will become a simple
"a" in medline entries. It is up to the authors to be aware of that and
write their own names without umlaut characters. Some do, others dont.
So, it is safer to search for e.g. ("SCHAGGER" OR "SCHAEGGER").