transmembrane protein prediction software

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Mon Jun 26 09:04:19 EST 2000

There are a number of transmembrane prediction routines on the web now,
that supposedly are better than Kyte and Doolittle hydrophobicity plots.
For instance, at www.expasy.ch there are about 6 routines.   When I run
a protein on them I get 2 that suggest that there  is a transmembrane
spanning region (DAS, tmpred2), the others do not. Not being a protein
biochemist primarily, I wonder if some kind experts could comment on the
utility of these routines and perhaps point me to some reviews of these
new-fangled prediction routines?

P. Christopher Larosa, PhD