protein diffusing in SDS-PAGE

Alison Leakey leakeyak at cf.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 02:57:09 EST 2000

The reason that the lowest band becomes diffused is because of it's size (obviously). The small peptide is diffusing into the gel during the staining process. Apparently, TRIS-Tricine gels are better for getting tighter bands at low molecular weight. There are probably many people who
know more about this than I do.

Hope this helps, Alison Leakey PhD.