How to increase tritium counting efficiency?

J. Martinez-Irujo jjmirujo at
Tue Mar 21 05:54:28 EST 2000

Dear Netters,
We are measuring DNA polymerase activity following the incorporation of
tritium labeled nucleotides into DNA. DNA is then bound to DE-81 paper,
washed and radioactivity measured by liquid scintillation. We have
noticed that c.p.m. of paper bound tritium are about 5-fold lesser than
c.p.m. of soluble nucleotides. Anybody knows a method to increase
counting efficiency of paper bound DNA? (solubilizing the
sample,perhaps). Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Juan J. Martinez Irujo
Departamento de Bioquimica
Universidad de Navarra
Pamplona, Spain