SDS page - the images

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at
Wed May 17 15:44:27 EST 2000

I wonder!
A few air bubbles would certainly distort the run, but the picture is like
nothing I have seen before (and I have more than a little experience in
SDS-PAGE). Is it possible that somehow the gel is polymerizing at
significantly diffrent rate in the middle? More appropriately, the the gel
seems to be of a higher %-age (hence the retardation) where the stained band
is "frowning" so much.

At 06:58 PM 5/17/00 GMT, Nick Theodorakis wrote:
>In article <8fuo11$1ftm at>,
>  "Kunal Mukhopadhyay" <kunalm at> wrote:
>> Here are the images of the gels that I mentioned in my earlier post.
>> They certainly are nothing to brag about! Any comments would be appreciated.
>> P.S Yes...I have run better ones, just in case anyone may wonder.
>My first guess is that you have an air bubble trapped on the bottom
>plate, disrupting the current flow around that region of the gel.
>What kind of a gel setup do you use? The older ones that formed the
>bottom by putting a spacer inside the plates were prone to this. In the
>"olden days" we used to keep either a syringe with a bent needle or a
>"bent" pasteur pipet around so that we could squirt buffer up into that
>space after putting the gel in the tank in order to flush the bubbles
>Nick Theodorakis
>nicholas_theodorakis at
>Sent via
>Before you buy.