ATP quenching

Jesus M. Sanz jmsanz at umh.es
Tue Nov 14 06:44:10 EST 2000

Hi, dear protein-netters!

I am monitoring ATP binding to a protein, known to bind the ligand, and
found that the protein tryptophan fluorescence quickly disappears. While
this could suggest true binding, a control experiment with a protein that
should
not bind the ligand also displays fluorescence quenching. I doubt there is
energy transfer since, as far as I know, ATP does not absorb at the wavelengths
of tryptophan emmision.

Is ATP a known quencher of tryptophanyl fluorescence? If so,
could you pleasesend me a reference about that.

Thank you very much

Jesus

Jesus M. Sanz, Ph.D.
jmsanz at umh.es

Prof. Jesus M. Sanz
Centro de Biologia Molecular y Celular -- Universidad Miguel Hernandez
Edificio Torregaitán. Avda. Ferrocarril, s/n. ELCHE, 03202-Alicante, SPAIN
Tel:(34) 966 658 460/474	Fax:(34) 966 658 758
http://cbmc.umh.es/jmsanz/Jesussanz.htm	   E-mail: jmsanz at umh.es
"Estos son mis principios, y si no le gustan...tengo otros" G. Marx

---