Microscopic detection of inclusion bodies

Thu Nov 23 19:37:51 EST 2000

cprivenz at igr.fr ("Cyril Privenzentzev") wrote:
:Dear Netters,
:I wonder what kind of microscopy (magnification, staining etc.- more
:details you can give than better)  should be used to detect inclusion
:bodies in E. coli?

It's been a long time since I've done it but AFAIR simple 100X
objectve lets you see a rod or a rod with dense stuff inside.

IMO, a lot faster and as efficient method of finding out if there
are inclusion bodies present is sonication: no inclusion bodies -
the suspension turnes translucent, inclusion bodies present -
the result is milky suspension. Takes about 1 ml of culture
resuspended in 1 ml of buffer and less than a minute to find out.

        - Dima