Thiamine in M9 minimal medium

Mike Dalbey dalbey at biology.ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:08:34 EST 2000

I'm not sure what a "TOP10 transformant" is but assume it must be an E. coli K12
strain.

Thiamine (B1) is very stable in my hands, whether as solid thiamine
hydrochloride stored at room temp. or as a 10 mg/ml stock stored at 4 degrees.
Crystals of the hydrochloride salt are very soluble in water. I do not add NaOH.
I filter sterilize the stock solution, but thiamine is reputedly stable to
autoclaving. I use it at a final concentration of 5 ug/ml which is probably in
excess of the need of E. coli thi mutants. Are you sure that you are not using
thymine by mistake? I have seen that.

For lysine, I use a 10 mg/ml stock with a final of  50 ug/ml. Again, I filter
sterilize. Be sure not to use D-Lysine by mistake.

Growing your strain in M9 supplemented with LB would confirm that the problem is
with your supplements, not the M9 basal medium.