PAGE problem

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 23 12:05:38 EST 2000

After years of doing PAGE, suddenly it has stopped working.  My samples
and tracking dye migrate as a smear rather than as sharp bands.

I have replaced all solutions, used samples I know (from previous gels)
are good, used two different PAGE systems (Laemli and Tricine), but the
problem persists.

I suspect our new water system, but the tech people say the conductivity
of the water is OK and I went to the trouble of boiling away half a litre
of water and saw no residue at all.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?  Mike.