amino acid residual

Kresten kresten at
Mon Sep 25 02:53:47 EST 2000

A protein consists of amino-acid residues and not amino-acids since,
when the amino-acids are polymerized into polypeptides, water is

R-COOH + H2N-R' -> RCONHR' + H20

Therefore the protein-mass is the sum of the masses of the amino-acids
minus the mass of the water molecules removed during the synthesis.

In article <39CB90B7.692EF84F at>,
  gavin <gavin at> wrote:
> I know this is gonna be a real dumb question.  Would someone please
> explain
> to me what do people mean by "residual" when they talk about
> residuals of polypeptide
> or amino acids?
> Thank you much!
> Gavin

The address kresten at is for
spambots only. Please mail me at LysLeuLeu at
transforming the pre at -part into my initials.
Kresten Lindorff Larsen

Sent via
Before you buy.