Looking for the magic antimicrobial agent...

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Sep 28 09:17:49 EST 2000

In article <xAtiVrA4tv05EAbk at lineone.net>,
  "Dr. Duncan Clark" <Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <8qntp5$g1f60$1 at fu-berlin.de>, Frank Fuerst <ffrank at rz.uni-
> potsdam.de> writes
> >- kill bacteria, of course
> >- be active for days
> >- not chemically modify proteins and peptides
> >- have no or only very small UV-absorption down to 180 nm
> >- not alter the stability or structure of proteins (so adding 20%
> >Ethanol is also excluded)
>
> Sodium Azide?

That thought crossed my mind, too, but does azide have any UV absorbance
down to 180 nm? That's a pretty tall order.

I was thinking maybe some kind of metal-based anti-microbial (Cu, Hg, or
Ag compounds) but I bet most of those would be protein-binding.

Nick

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/