"Villain-Tines"

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Sun Apr 1 13:04:17 EST 2001

In article <tceovnh75jgea9 at corp.supernews.co.uk>,
Poster Ex \(CH\) <chris2048 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hmm, but the argument that my friend proposed is,
>that enzymes, as catalysts, cannot break down material themselves,
>but require another chemical, such as acid, to complete the job...

This is completely wrong; that's not what catalyst means.

>So the question is, not does acid contribute to the breakdown of protein,
>but is it the ONLY ingredient that does this,
>or do enzymes do the actual process w/o the "help" of acid...

Pepsin does the digestion without the help of acid: the role of acid is to
activate it.

Pepsin might be a confusing example: if it helps clarify things, there are
many, many other digestive enzymes which do not requre acid for activation
or function.

Note followups again.

Ian