Richard P. Grant rpg14 at
Mon Apr 30 14:53:14 EST 2001

In article <3AED5716.2A9525DF at>, "Dr. Artem Evdokimov"
<eudokima at> wrote:

> Actually filtering is necessary if you are working with any kind of FPLC
> or HPLC system, or using expensive fine-grain columns (such as the
> 'monoX' series, hydroxyapathite, 5u C-X and CN-X series, superdex etc.).

And I'd do it to protect the - not inexpensive - Ni-NTA resin.

> We are mostly dealing with proteins being prepared for crystallographic
> studies so as you can imagine, the amounts of liquids that we put
> through the systems are quite large, but even for small samples
> sometimes just one piece of fiber is enough to crack your column or
> increase the backpressure or get stuck in your pumps and
> cross-contaminate your sample.

And one piece of dust could give you a crystal you never see again . . .

BTW Michael, if you are doing this for crystallization and not getting
anywhere, you might try the same protein sans His-tag.

The Grant Family
gerbil at
                   -- 'Ex - cellent!' --