Transmembrane proteins aggregate in SDS-PAGE?

Dominic-Luc Webb molmed domweb at
Wed Aug 8 13:14:04 EST 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Dima Klenchin wrote:

> of BME, never ever heat the sample, just dissolve it at RT.
> When I deal with NP-40/TX-100 lysates, I add 2X-3X to
> binding.

Well Dima, boiling is exactly how some groups have dealt
with the large exocytotic protein complexes and many of
these proteins, like syntaxin and SNAP25, are membrane
proteins, that are the object of the gel assays. Sadly,
there is no one-size-fits-all solution.