protein reduction

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at
Fri Jan 5 10:03:24 EST 2001

We do a "careful" reduction of BSA (whatever that means).  For a 50mg/ml
solution of BSA we use 100mM DTT, stirring on ice for 2hrs in the dark.  I
think the length of time and the dark are quite important.  Obviously
certain disulfides will only become accessible to the solvent/reductant
after other disulfides have been reduced, allowing the protein to
unfold.  Bottom line, try leaving it for a bit longer.

This of course assumes that your eventual aim is to unfold the
protein.   Another possibility is that it is energetically unfavorable for
your protein to unfold and break the final 1 or 2 disulfides, for example
due to hydrophobic interactions.  Try adding a mild detergent such as

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up