Post translational modification??

Mano mdep at musica.mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 30 00:30:50 EST 2001

Hi all,
    I am studying the expression of two highly homologous proteins
(approximately 50 kDa).  In fact their published sequence differs by
only ONE amino acid.  Using a monoclonal antibody that detects BOTH
proteins, I can resolve the two proteins by SDS page as if there is a
5kDa difference, when in fact there is only one amino acid difference.
At this time, there is no evidence for phosphorylation differences or
glycosylation differences.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can see such a big difference
by SDS PAGE even thought the proteins are only 1 amino acid difference
in length?

Thanks.
Mano.