cell membranes and protein structures

Mitchell Isaacs misaacs at spam_me_not.student.usyd.edu.au
Fri Oct 19 17:26:32 EST 2001

"Sergio" <sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es> wrote in message
news:3BD0532D.C9A34A0A at bbm1.ucm.es...

> > Bingo. (and membranes will be a bit more fluid)
>
> i guess not only a bit more fluid, but much more fluid. At 80ºC many of
the
> membrane proteins will get denatured, and probably even the membrane will
get
> denatured as well...
You're right, it will be much more fluid - but that is not as a result of
protein denaturation, but increased fluidity (or decreased viscosity) of the
lipid membrane. Take a lump of fat and heat it up - it melts.

Cheers,
Mitchell