cell membranes and protein structures

Sergio sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es
Mon Oct 22 05:56:21 EST 2001

Mitchell Isaacs ha escrito:

> "Sergio" <sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es> wrote in message
> news:3BD0532D.C9A34A0A at bbm1.ucm.es...
>
> > > Bingo. (and membranes will be a bit more fluid)
> >
> > i guess not only a bit more fluid, but much more fluid. At 80ºC many of
> the
> > membrane proteins will get denatured, and probably even the membrane will
> get
> > denatured as well...
> You're right, it will be much more fluid - but that is not as a result of
> protein denaturation, but increased fluidity (or decreased viscosity) of the
> lipid membrane.

Yes, i agree. I didn't mean it was because of the protein denaturation (my
apologies if it was not clear in my last post). I was just trying to answer the
question: "the protien structures (e.g. carrier protiens?) are being either sped
up by the increase
of temperature or completely being denatured on the cell membranes". Obviously,
passive diffusion is afected by temperature in two ways: increaseing the average
speed of the molecules (i don't remember the formule, but it should be easy to
find in any phisics book), and increasing the fluidity of the membrane. But what
i was trying to remark is that at 80ºC the whole membrane structure will be
denatured, and the experiment is not showing a diffusion through the membrane
but a just a simple molecular diffusion within a solution, probably influeced
also by "convective flows" (<- sorry, i dont know the english term) within the
sample. A membrane integrity control would be needed.

Sergio