peroxide reduction

Mitchell Isaacs misaacs at spam_me_not.student.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 24 07:09:20 EST 2001

"dan prater" <dan at prater.com> wrote in message
news:fc016c4.0110231756.464ef9f9 at posting.google.com...
> hello all,
> i'm a grad student at purdue, and i'm doing my masters thesis on
> electrochemical reduction of hydrogen peroxide. i'm looking to
> catalyze the half-reaction:
> H2O2 + 2H+ + 2e- --> 2H2O
> that is, the complete reduction without peroxide decomposition, as the
> case usually is. i've taken a hint from a colleague, and began to look
> into catalysts that are biologically based... either enzymes, or
> molecules that behave as such (Schiff complexes, etc.).
> i'm not a student of the bio-sciences, i've got bachelors in chemistry
> and physics, so please dumb-down your responses. i'm looking at this
> from the standpoint of an electrochemist. at what molecules might i
> look to engage this reaction? is there an enzyme that catalyzes this
> reaction?
Dan,

You might be able to adapt a peroxiredoxin to suit your needs. I don't know
too much about them myself, but basically their job is to reduce peroxides.

Also, there's a _Thermoplasma volcanium_ (thermophillic archaea bacterium)
protein called Hydroperoxide reductase - I don't know anything about this,
but I would suspect that despite its name it does not reduce H2O2 directly.

A good place to start looking for information on proteins is ExPASy
(www.expasy.org), particularly the swiss-prot and TrEMBL databases.

Good luck!
Mitchell