optimization renaturation

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Apr 7 14:40:51 EST 2002

Lorenza <lorenza at dba.unito.it> schrieb:

> Is the dialysis sufficient to renature my protein?

That depends on your protein...

> What can I do to  optimize renaturation so that I can be sure to have my
> protein in an active form? I need the EGF-like domain binds to his receptor.

Renaturing proteins is an art, and a lottery too. If you can't find
protocols in the literature for homologues or similar proteins, read a
review about inclusion body renaturation and try. One never knows in
advance what is the critical thing for a particular protein.

You can try to reduce protein concentration, reduce temperature, add
additives like arginine, glycerol or whatever, even chaperones and magic
curses. Centrifuge away the aggregates, but be aware that soluble
protein does not necessarily mean 100 percent functional or active
protein.

Bye, Frank