Imaging zinc stained gels

tjmurray at tjmurray at
Tue Dec 3 16:33:05 EST 2002

I am looking for the best way to capture an image of my zinc stained SDS-PAGE gel.  I have tried imaging it on a black background using the lab digital camera over a light box but the results were a little disappointing - a little fuzzy and problems with light leakage.   Do I need to use a densitometer for this?  I'm a little confused how this would work since this is a negative stain so the gel is semi-opaque with clear areas where the proteins are located.  Any help appreciated!