Imaging zinc stained gels

Antonio Marques ajlmarques at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 13:36:04 EST 2002

Even better, don't dry it... just scan it with a regular scanner, placing
the gel between two transparent sheets...

"Kyle Legate" <legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.33.0212041233020.19554-100000 at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca...
> On 3 Dec 2002 tjmurray at bu.edu wrote:
>
> > I am looking for the best way to capture an image of my zinc stained
SDS-PAGE gel.  I have tried imaging it on a black background using the lab
digital camera over a light box but the results were a little
disappointing - a little fuzzy and problems with light leakage.   Do I need
to use a densitometer for this?  I'm a little confused how this would work
since this is a negative stain so the gel is semi-opaque with clear areas
where the proteins are located.  Any help appreciated!