membrane protein purification.

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Feb 6 06:27:54 EST 2002

???o?W <870629 at itri.org.tw> wrote:
> I am trying to find some general protocols for membrane protein purification.
> Any kind of the protein purification will be fine. I just would like to
> gather information about general purification procedures.

I am afraid that there is no general approach for protein purification,
and even less so for membrane protein purification. The first thing
you have to find out is in which detergent to solubilize your membranes
without affecting the function of the protein. This is usually a
trial-and-error approach. Afterwards, the solubilized protein can
be purified by the usual column chromatography approaches. If you
can tag your protein, you can use affinity chromatography.

Without knowing anything about the protein of interest, it is difficult
to be more specific.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de */