Membrane stripping after HRP-conjugated streptavidin incubation

Emir Khatipov khatipovNO at
Thu Feb 7 12:35:09 EST 2002

Streptavidin-biotin interaction is very strong and AFAIC cannot be disrupted
completely, even under harsh conditions, like high or (particularly) low pH.
You may still be able to "bleed" some of the bound SA-HRP by soaking the
membrane in a low pH buffer (pH 1 - pH 2). However, there is no guarantee
that your antigen will sustain that punishment. Thus, I would try short-term
washings (1-5 min) first. Another problem is how you will estimate the
amount of biotin being freed, which is probably by HABA assay or by
reprobing with a different SA-conjugate (alkaline phosphatase?, fluorescent
It is also known that avidin-biotin interaction is weaker than that of
SA-biotin. Thus, I would suggest trying avidin-HRP (check the catalogs; I
guess Sigma has one).
Also check Meth Enzymol v.184 (1990) that has reviews on SA-avidin
I did not try the above myself. It is just an "educated" suggestion :-).

news:3c62b151$0$10684$4d4eb98e at