pIVEX and BL21(DE3)

Dominic-Luc Webb molmed domweb at mbox.ki.se
Sun Feb 10 14:03:01 EST 2002

On 31 Jan 2002, Jens Lohrmann wrote:

   > I'm trying to figure out if the pIVEX vector (originally designed for
   > cell-free expression systems) would be compatible with the E.coli strain
   > BL21(DE3).

If your plasmid has a T7 promoter, it is possible. I know some
of the commercial cell free kits use a modified T7 RNApol
and/or T7 promoter. Some of the plasmids intended for BL21(DE3)
have not worked as well for me as some that were not intended,
but only had a known T7 promoter. The best combination thus
far for my protein has been the combination of pCMX and E coli
HMS(174).

Cheers,

Dominic

North 59 37' 30"