An old, never answered question: Qiagen's miniprep buffers - analytical chemistry anyone?

D.K. dk at
Fri Feb 22 20:41:07 EST 2002

qqin at (Qiang Qin) wrote:
>Actually, I have a Qiagen March 1999  "QIAGEN Plasmid Mini Handbook"
>that disclose their recipe (p27, Appendix B), but instead of N3, PB, and
>PE buffer, it's P3 for neutralization buffer, QBT for Equilibration
>buffer, QC for wash buffer, QF for elution buffer. I don't know they are
>totally different or just their names changed.

Yours is a booklet for ion exchange-based purification. N3, PB, etc
are for hydrophobic interaction purification. Yes, these are completely
different kits and solutions, having in common only alkaline lysis step.