simulated isol. problem

kaj.stenberg at kaj.stenberg at
Sat Feb 23 14:04:23 EST 2002

Two students were playing around with a computer simulation of protein
purification. They had a protein with a Pi of 8.1, wich was a single
band on 2D-electroforesis. However, at pH 7.5 the protein was bound both
to an anion and a cation exchange matrix.

Can anyone explain how this is possible and if it could occur in real
life? I doubt that the program simulates nonspecific binding to the

(Sorry about the slightly vague details, I have not seen their results
myself yet).

Kaj Stenberg, Ph. D
Department of Biosciences            tel. +358-9-191 59682
Division of Biochemistry             fax +358-9-191 59068
P. O. Box 56, Viikinkaari 5          e-mail: kaj.stenberg at
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki

This message is environmentally friendly: every bit was created using
100% recycled electrons.