problem with detection limit on electrophoresis mobility shift gel

shchan chanhongsiu at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 03:05:37 EST 2002

I am working on gel shift assays for RNA-protein binding. Many people
published their gel shift using just 0.02 nM of 32P-labelled RNA but I can
see nothing at this concentration even I used 32P of ~3000Ci/mmol
specificity activity. Anyone can help?

Plus, I am transcribing some RNA of very high secondary from oligo DNAs. The
melting temperatures of those 30-mers are ~90 deg/C. I found it difficult to
make good yield on them. Anyone can help?

SH Chan
Department of Biochemistry
The Chinese Unvversity of Hong Kong