structure

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jan 6 15:06:16 EST 2002

dk at no.email.thankstospam.net (D.K.) schrieb:

> Also, at
> least some folds, if not most, appear to fold not into global free energy
> minimum. I worked with several proteins that fold spontaneously in
> solution into something that has seemingly nothing to do with their
> native folds.

Can you give some references? You don't mean folding intermediates, do
you? Of course there are proteins with differently folded states, but I
don't recall a case where I'd say that one has "nothing to do" with the
native state - if it's not a (possibly aggregation-prone) misfolded
folding intermediate: Probably a case for a chaperone, and thus a local
minimum itself.

Interested, Frank