gel filtration vs dialysis

Dominic-Luc Webb molmed domweb at
Tue Jan 8 10:30:25 EST 2002

I want to get rid of proteases, mainly from an E coli
expression system in which I am expressing an 86 KD
protein (mammalian). The bacterial homolog is 32 KD
and I also want this removed. This seems like classical
job for gel filtration, but I am thinking that maybe
the Spectra/por 6 or 7 RC dialysis tubing with 50 KD MWCO
might work better (like preserving the volume) or
maybe it would give better/faster separation. My
understanding from reading is that bacterial proteases
are typically very small, and well below this 50 KD

Could someone please tell me if this is not such a
clever idea and why or why not?

North 59 37' 30"
East  17 48' 10"