EndoH resistance as surface localization marker

alberto.visintin at umassmed.edu alberto.visintin at umassmed.edu
Mon Jul 15 23:13:58 EST 2002

Hi all,

I have a quick question:

Can EndoH resistance be used as a cell surface localization diagnostic assay?

In other words, can a protein without a canonical retention (KDEL) signal be a permanent ER/Golgi resident even if it passed the TGN and become EndoH resistant?

The reason being that in my field lots of reports are coming out claiming intracellular originated signaling from type I proteins which possess a clear leader sequence, N-glycosylation and no obvious retention signal.

I saw it is biotinylated and EndoH resistant, is it enough to claim surface localization?

Cgeers,
AV

http://biowww.net/mynews/tree.php?group_name=bionet_molbio_proteins&begin=0