SDS-PAGE for purity

D.K. dk at
Tue Jul 16 18:14:14 EST 2002

 drabena at wrote:
>I am currently running SDS-PAGE's to calculate the "percent area" of a single
> protein.  Can anyone tell me how to run this assay to determine the percent
> purity?

There is no truly good way to run such an assay. Conventional
scanning/integration of total lane gives absolutely wrong results.
The best way I know is to i) determine total protein concentration
in your sample, ii) load in parallel a series of known amounts
of [some standard] protein, iii) compare intensities, deduce amount
of the given band in your sample and thus deduce % of total.
With some experience, simple eyeballing estimates come as
close to reality as any "quantitative" method (that is, still