Layperson asks: Folding@Home worthwhile?

Kyle Legate legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Mar 5 16:59:28 EST 2002

On 1 Mar 2002, David Konerding, Ph.D. wrote:

> But I don't really see running SETI at Home as practical as Folding at Home.  What,
> exactly, would be the benefit of finding intelligent aliens on the other side
> of the galaxy?

At the risk of becoming irretrievably off-topic, as a species this
information is immensely more important than predicting the structure of
some protein. Finding intelligent aliens on the other side of the galaxy
would force us to redefine our relationship with the cosmos. From a
philosophical standpoint, it would change everything.

legatek at mcmaster.ca		Kyle Legate            legatek at hotmail.com

   Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca
    moon musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch