Protein-interactions??

Paul Howles phowles at pi.csiro.au
Tue Mar 19 00:17:46 EST 2002

I have isolated a plant gene which consists of an open reading frame
"combining" the sequences of two genes (i.e. a perfect read through from
one gene into the next without any stop codon), which in all other analysed
plant genomes consist of separate genes, with no obvious physical
relationship in the genomes (e.g. the two genes located next to each
other). Does anybody know of a similar situation, or have any ideas how
this may have evolved? I have an interest in protein interactions, and am
wondering whether this "combined" gene implies that in the other plants the
two separate proteins interact.

---