Protocol for ATPase Assay? i.e. radioactive vs non-radioactive

Gregor Madej Gregor.Madej at mpibp-frankfurt.mpg.de
Wed Nov 13 13:39:35 EST 2002

Hej Dustin,

try this, relatively cheap and non radioactive, ...works.

good luck

Regulation of phosphotransferase activity of hexokinase 2 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae by modification at serine-14
Golbik R, Naumann M, Otto A, Muller EC, Behlke J, Reuter R, Hubner G, Kriegel TM
BIOCHEMISTRY : 40 (4): 1083-1090 JAN 30 2001

Abstract:
Isoenzyme 2 of hexokinase functions in sugar sensing and glucose repression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, The degree of in
vivo phosphorylation of hexokinase 2 at serine-14 is inversely related to the extracellular glucose concentration [Vojtek, A. B.,
and Fraenkel, D. G. (1990) fur. J, Biochem. 190, 371-375]; however, a physiological role of the modification causing the
dissociation of the dimeric enzyme in vitro [as effected by a serine-glutamate exchange at position 14; Behlke et al. (1998)
Biochemistry 37, 11989-11995] is unclear. This paper describes a comparative stopped-flow kinetic and sedimentation
equilibrium analysis performed with native unphosphorylated hexokinase 2 and a permanently pseudophosphorylated
glutamate-14 mutant enzyme to determine the functional consequences of phosphorylation-induced enzyme dissociation, The
use of a dye-linked hexokinase assay monitoring proton generation allowed the investigation of the kinetics of glucose
phosphorylation over a wide range of enzyme concentrations. The kinetic data indicated that monomeric hexokinase represents
the high-affinity form of isoenzyme 2 for both glycolytic substrates. Inhibition of glucose phosphorylation by ATP [Moreno et
al, (1986) Eur, J, Biochem. 161, 565-569] was only observed at a low enzyme concentration, whereas no inhibition was
detected at the high concentration of hexokinase 2 presumed to occur in the cell. Pseudophosphorylation by glutamate
substitution for serine-14 increased substrate affinity at high enzyme concentration and stimulated the autophosphorylation of
isoenzyme 2, The possible role of hexokinase 2 in vivo phosphorylation at serine-14 in glucose signaling is discussed.