small scale purification

Duncan Clark junk at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 08:56:33 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost <as0una$29s$3 at news.Stanford.EDU> on
Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Mark Bowen <mboNOT at slac.stanford.edu> penned the
following literary masterpiece:
>I am trying to run very small ionic exchange and affinity columns
>(10-100ul bed volumes), but I am having trouble finding good columns.
>I am using Pierce's 2mL disposable columns, but I would like to get
>even smaller empty columns to give a taller bed.  Does anyone know a
>manufacturer of very small (preferably disposable) columns and fittings?

Everyone is so spoilt these days :)

Back in ye olde days one couldn't buy pre-made columns so you made up
your own from anything at hand.

Pipette tips with glass wool in the end, Pasteur pipettes, syringes etc
etc. Silicon tubing on the end, 3 or 4mm bungs with narrow gauge needles
in the top and so on. Run them under gravity with a loop so they don't
dry out i.e. tubing going in at top must loop below column outlet and
then back to reservoir. When reservoir runs out liquid will stop and
column will not run out. I still do this now.

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.