basic proteins--help

Steve Leonard steven.leonard1 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 12 07:52:49 EST 2002

pH gradients tend to break down at the basic end of the scale and this
renders isoelectric focussing useless for extremely basic proteins.
You could try NEPHGE (non equilibrium pH gel electrophoresis) and use
extremeley basic proteins (such as histones) as a molecular marker for how
basic your proteins are. Essentially NEPHGE is the same protocol as
isoelectric focussing except that the gels are ran for shorter periods of
time. This means that you are not really separaqting on the basis of
isoelectric point but the charge to mass ratio of the proteins.

""Baichen Zhang"" <Zhang at mpimp-golm.mpg.de> wrote in message
news:0F072619A2C4594781FBFF69DA96AA37C67DDD at MAIL.mpimp-golm.mpg.de...

Could anyone suggest some points on estimation of isoelectric point of basic
proteins by IEF? I find the IEF strips available mostly have a given PI
range of below 10.

Thanks in advance,

Baichen