silver stain problem

Ulisse ulissec at libero.it
Tue Oct 15 05:17:36 EST 2002

> Hello,
>
> I have done silver stains of SDS gels many times before but last time
something strange occured: I got an inverse stain with dark background and
light protein bands (altogether rather faint). Before this stain, I prepared
fresh thiosulfate buffer, and formaldehyde was freshly added to the silver
solution and the developing solution.
> What can be the cause of the inverse staining, an thus, how can I get back
positive stains?

This effect is usually due to precipitation of the silver nitrate. It could
be matter of temperature and/or pH of the solutions that you used for the
staining.

Ulisse