Ab purification problem

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Thu Oct 17 21:16:47 EST 2002

ljd3 at duke.edu (Lou D'Amico) wrote:
>i used a 3mg/ml (little less) solution, i had about a (very) little
>over 1ml of that, and i bound it to 1ml of column matrix.  It's the
>same volume as the company i outsourced the first affinity
>purification to.  Any help?

Some. It would help if you could state how much of your antigen is
bound to the matrix, not just how much you used. Depending
on many factors coupling efficiency can vary greatly from
as low as 10% to nearly 100. Still, lets do some rough numbers:

Assume the antigen is actually coupled. Say, 75%  of it, 50% in
the worst scenario. So you have ~1 ml of ~ 2 mg/ml column.
Because it's serum, it is reasonable to expect more than 1:1
molar binding. Unlikely more than 3 because of steric
hindrances, etc. OK, so that means you can expect at least
2/2.5 mg Ab = 800 ug (150K = 2.5x60K). You say you actually
got 500 ug, which is not far off. In ideal world I would expect
about 3X of this. But since you did not select for IgG first, it
is quite possible that i) serum was collected prematurely and
has a lot of IgM ab, ii) you failed to elute those IgM (they are
harder to elutel; you don't mention how you elute and if you
checked on a gel what remains bound). All in all, your result does
not seem to be impossibly wrong.

Good antiserum can contain between 0.05 to 0.2 mg
of specific antibodies (speaking of rabbits at least). So your
Western, which is, of course, non-quantitative, should indeed
show that the serum is not yet depleted.

In times when I had only a little of antigen that is too hard to
come by,  I used to do this:

- Purify IgG on Protein A, elute with 100 mM Glycin, pH 2.5,
immediately neutralize to pH 8.0 with 2 M Tris, pH 9.0,
add NaCl to 0.35 M final.
- Run over an antigen column, load 2 times to ensure saturation
of binding sites, with 3.6 M MgCl2, pH 6.5. Dialyse extensively,
make sure to leave room for water in dialysis bag. MgCl2
elution is a lot milder on most native proteins than standard
acid elution.

Hope this helps.

DK