High school protein purification lab

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at web.de
Fri Oct 18 03:25:49 EST 2002

jculp at egreen.wednet.edu wrote:

> I am looking for a new protein purification lab for my high school students.  Our equipment and supplies are limited.  We have a couple of specs and ability to do chromatography.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I understand that this is very general question.  Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Alcohol dehydrogenase from yeast is a very sturdy and abundant protein.
Purification is easy (aceton precipitation, heat denaturing, ion
exchange chromatography, ammonium sulfate crystallisation).

Activity is checked in a coupled spectrophotometric assay, which is an
important concept in itself.

ADH is a tetramere, so you can exemplify the differeences between native
and denaturing electrophoresis to.