running sds gel with guanidium

Nick Theodorakis nick_theodorakis at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:31:26 EST 2003

On 26 Nov 2003 18:03:20 -0000, ss at nordicbioscience.com wrote:

>I tried to analyse by western-blot protein samples that I have treated with guanidium. But the proteins migrated in a smear, like if all the samples were degraded. Is there a problem to run an SDS page in presence of guanidium?

Guanidine is charged, and high concentrations of charged molecules
will definitely interfere with electrophoresis. Moreover, it may be
insoluble in the presence of SDS.

You might want to try urea instead (but don't boil the samples).

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis at hotmail.com
nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu