a question about gene expression in plasmids

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Dec 16 12:29:25 EST 2003

dikla_dar at walla.co.il (diki) schrieb:

> hi everybody!
> my question is: in the plasmid pBR322, if I replace the whole gene for
> resistance to amp. in a certain insert, is there a good chance that
> the new gene will be expressed as a protein?

One point that has not yet been mentioned:

What will happen to the cells transformed with the plasmid if there is
no longer an amp resistance on it? If you adjust your growth conditions
so that the cells still can grow, will the cells keep a high copy number
of your plasmid? What results will that have for your expression level?

Bye, Frank
--
Bitte daran denken: Auch die Kaffeekasse hat manchmal Hunger.