gel filtration of glycoproteins

stoffel at biols.susx.ac.uk stoffel at biols.susx.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 06:40:58 EST 2003

Hello all,

Following problem:
I've got a protein of about 40 kD (according to its amino acid-sequence) which is glycosylated, when I pass it on a gel filtration column it gives me a very broad and flat peak (well, probably one wouldn't call it a "peak" anymore) somewhere in the range between 70 and 100 kD.

Question:
If you look at a glycosylated protein in general, would you expect such a behaviour or should it still run as a discret peak? How much does the glycosylation affect the apparent MW of a protein when doing size exclusion, is it likely to increase the size by a factor of 2 or 3, or is this more a hint for dimerisation?

Any comment on this matter (preferably based on personal experience) would be very helpfull

Thanks a lot,

Christoph

http://biowww.net/mynews/tree.php?group_name=bionet_molbio_proteins&begin=0