SDS quantitation and removal with resins

Scott Coutts scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Jul 1 21:59:33 EST 2003

Hi!

Does anyone know of a way that I can assay for SDS concentration in a
sample containing protein? I want to know how much detergent remains
after attempts at removal. I need to assay for regular (non-labelled)
SDS, by the way.

Also, I'm thinking of removing the SDS from some protein samples using a
resin, perhaps Dowex 1-X2 or 1-X8 or similiar. I'm thinking of doing it
in a batch method and then spinning the resin out through a frit. Does
anybody have any comments about this? I.e. are there better resins for
this type of application? Better ways of going about it? Is this likely
to be more efficient than acetone or TCA precipitation (I don't care
about protein function or recovery of secondary/tertiary structure).

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with Pierce's "SDS-Out"
precipitation reagent? Anybody know what's in it?

Thanks!