Lowry protein determination (follow up)

EK nobody at elnino.com
Thu Jul 3 17:50:39 EST 2003

"James Wee" <jywee at charter.net> wrote in message
news:vg7bqu5sp0r973 at corp.supernews.com...
> Thanks for your comment. I checked through all my reagents and found that
> there is something wrong with IN NaOH that I used. After using the new
NaOH,
> the readings are low now. It intercepts with y-axis at  0.04. I wonder how
> the NaOH solution (which contains more NaOH) makes the color darker.
>
> James

Make your NaOH at least once every couple of weeks and keep it in tightly
closed bottle, or use a stopper with CaOH trap. NaOH will absorb CO2 from
air to form insoluble Na2CO3. Also, some microorganisms can live in
solutions of such a strength(plus the strenth will be reduced in time as a
result of growth). Your high values are most probably due to the presence of
growth of contaminating species that as you can guess are made of proteins,
too. By the way, I still don't understand how your blank would not be at
zero. Do you compare your values for blank with numbers someone gave you as
a guideline?
-Emir