SDS quantitation and removal with resins

Peter Sjödin peter.sjodin at
Tue Jul 8 06:56:49 EST 2003

"Scott Coutts" <scott.coutts at> skrev i meddelandet
news:3F024A95.40702 at
> Hi!
> Does anyone know of a way that I can assay for SDS concentration in a
> sample containing protein? I want to know how much detergent remains
> after attempts at removal. I need to assay for regular (non-labelled)
> SDS, by the way.
> Also, I'm thinking of removing the SDS from some protein samples using a
> resin, perhaps Dowex 1-X2 or 1-X8 or similiar. I'm thinking of doing it
> in a batch method and then spinning the resin out through a frit. Does
> anybody have any comments about this? I.e. are there better resins for
> this type of application? Better ways of going about it? Is this likely
> to be more efficient than acetone or TCA precipitation (I don't care
> about protein function or recovery of secondary/tertiary structure).
> Lastly, does anyone have any experience with Pierce's "SDS-Out"
> precipitation reagent? Anybody know what's in it?
> Thanks!

Why not meassure the dynamic surface tension?
This will give you the koncentration of the SDS only and not any of the
Calibrate with known koncentration. and and others knows a lot about this.

Best regards